Bathroom Makeover Inspiration
In my November House Tour, our bathroom looked like this:
I won’t even bother to take new pictures of how it looks today, because other than a different hand towel and the fact that the plant has grown, it looks exactly the same. It hasn’t changed hardly at all in the last year. You would think that the smallest room in the house would be the easiest and first to be decorated, right? Wrong. Other than slapping up a shower curtain, plopping down a bath mat and art (all that we already had) and putting a magazine rack in there to cover up a hole in the tiles, this room has gotten zero attention. We’ve yet to buy anything (other than the magazine rack) specifically for this room. Everything else was just sort-of plopped down in there.
Things that have been on our to-do list for forever for the bathroom:
- Everything!? (I only like the plants!)
- Figure out a direction for this space. (DONE! See mood board, below)
- Organize the magazine rack.
- Different artwork
- Paint the shower curtain rod, the toilet paper holder, and the orange towel rod oil-rubbed bronze.
- Enamel paint the outside of the bathtub? (I think this is more of a dream. Probably won’t do that, since we are only renting)
- Organize the shelving/baskets inside the built-in cabinet.
- Perhaps raise the shower curtain rod up higher and add two shower curtains, one on each side, so it looks more like curtains for the window?
Finally after living here for over two years, I feel like I have a direction for this bathroom. One that I’m pretty excited about:
So my overall plan:
- Keep the white (white walls, white tile, white trim/built-in cabinet) but add touches of black (oil-rubbed bronze) and grey, with pops of color with a pretty peacock/teal and gold (maybe a little raspberry color too?).
- Artwork: I’m planning to paint an abstract painting for the room (already started!) and to the other side, I think I want to add a couple black and white photos framed in (ornate or simple?) gold frames, with possibly colored or fabric-covered mats.
- Paint the shower curtain rod, curtain hooks, the toilet paper holder, and the orange towel rod oil-rubbed bronze.
- Scrub down and give the room a good cleaning (see if I can come up with some way to get the stains off the tub/tile) and organize the overflowing magazine rack.
- Organize the shelving/baskets inside the built-in cabinet. Possibly add a little vanity/make-up putting-on area on the bottom shelf.
- Organize the medicine cabinet and possibly paint the inside a fun color and line the shelves with pretty paper? (I already painted the inside of the door with chalkboard paint several months ago and it is great for leaving fun/cute notes to each other)
- Find a new bathmat/bathroom rug. Perhaps a pattern?
- Get/make a new shower curtain and get a new curtain liner.
- Perhaps raise the shower curtain rod up higher and maybe add two shower curtains, one on each side, so it looks more like curtains for the window?
I’m pretty excited about the plan for this room! I usually browse inspiration pictures and put together a look in my head for rooms, but I’m excited to have a more concrete “mood board” for this room makeover! I can’t wait to have a prettier space in there, it only needs a little work and it will be there!
One more thing for this room, as you all probably know by now, Drew and I are doing Dave Ramsey’s Total Money Makeover, so we don’t have much to spend on house renovations. So this makeover has to come in as close to free as possible. A lot of DIY is in order! My plan is to spend under $50 on this room (and I only have that budget because I know I need to buy a new shower curtain liner (the old one is gross and the top is rusted and the holes are ripped through), I need some spray paint for the project, along with either a new shower curtain or fabric to make one, a bathmat, and a couple picture frames for in there) so we’ll see how it goes! I’ll keep you updated as the room progresses!